Our next STEM Summer Experience for years 11 & 12 will take place in the summer holidays from 24th –28th July 2023 and will be jam packed with events and interactions with leading STEM organisations in and around Oxfordshire. Applications will open in May 2023.
Our free programme will give students interested in careers in STEM the opportunity to gain relevant skills, experience and expertise over a week-long period in the holidays. Students can attend virtual workshops, talks and sessions led by local STEM companies and our expert in-house team as well as completing their own research project.
As part of the programme, students will be set a bespoke research project, based on a STEM subject they are interested in. The project will consist of a challenge along the lines of the CREST Gold Award, so those who take part will also be eligible to apply for the award. During the week, students will have allocated time to work on their project, and meet with local industry professionals for talks, mentoring and STEM careers advice. They will also be offered training in skills such as CV writing and advice on mental health from experts. The week will conclude with an opportunity for students to present their project to a group of their peers and mentors.
Students – what will you achieve by taking part?
- The opportunity to tackle a specific research project at your own pace over the week, that will make you eligible to apply for a Gold CREST Award (recognised by employers)
- The opportunity to learn more about STEM Careers from local industry professionals through talks and tutor time
- To gain awareness of the type of jobs available by studying STEM subjects
- To ask questions directly to STEM professionals about different career paths
- Online tours of local STEM facilities.
- New skills such as how to write a CV and presenting to different audiences
- Advice on how to be aware of your own mental health and wellbeing when dealing with difficult challenges
- A certificate of achievement for taking part
- May – Applications open
- early July (date TBC) – Applications close
- 24–28 July 2023 – STEM Summer Experience