Light and shadows
Teach the topic of light, with this class size kit loan. Children will be able to explore the properties of light with torches, mirrors, optical blocks, and their own kit to explore and investigate shadows. Three activity boxes.
Create a light maze and challenge a friend to follow it. Can you make an object to cast a shadow with a smiley face? Can you bend the light to hit the target? Challenge a friend to make a shadow bigger without changing anything!
- Recognise that they need light to see things and that dark is the absence of light notice that light is reflected from surfaces.
- Recognise that shadows are formed when the light from a light source is blocked by an opaque object.
- Find patterns in the way that the size of shadows change.
- Find patterns in what happens to shadows when the light source moves or the distance between the light source and the object changes.
- Recognise that light appears to travel in straight lines
- Use the idea that light travels in straight lines to explain that objects are seen because they give out or reflect light into the eye
- Explain that we see things because light travels from light sources to our eyes or from light sources to objects and then to our eyes
- Use the idea that light travels in straight lines to explain why shadows have the same shape as the objects that cast them.
Explore the way that light behaves, including light sources, reflection, and shadows and its relationship.
Class kit loan
£27.50 + VAT per kit for 2 weeks (members)
£55 + VAT per kit for 2 weeks (non members)
All school members get 2 weeks of free kit loan
Contact our schools team with any questions on [email protected]
Back to previous page