Creative Computing Club – do your :bit (Ages 9-12) 12 February
This month we are encouraging young coders to do their bit and combine creativity and technology to come up with innovative ways to use a BBC micro:bit to invent solutions to real-world problems that affect their community. We’ll guide them through how to use the micro:bit’s display and sound outputs, as well as built-in light, temperature and accelerometer sensors and send them home full of inspiration to find a solution for the Global Goals challenge. What local issues are your family passionate about solving?
The 17 Sustainable Development Goals (commonly known as the Global Goals) were agreed in September 2015 by the member states of the United Nations. They are the most ambitious agreement for sustainable development that world leaders have ever made. The BBC micro:bit Foundation has set up a challenge in the search for solutions to these goals and invite young people aged 8-18 to submit their ideas with the chance of winning some amazing micro:bit prizes. Full details about the challenge can be found here and the closing date is July 2022.
do your :bit is produced by the Micro:bit Educational Foundation in partnership with the British Council and World’s Largest Lesson
The club includes access to our woodland, ponds and lunch tables. For information on our terms and conditions visit here.
The Skogen Café is open 10am-4pm for light lunches, snacks and drinks.
About Creative Computing Club
Creative Computing Club will be attended in person at the Science Oxford Centre. If the workshop date or description changes due to Covid-19 restrictions, we will get in touch to explain the changes and give you the option of a full refund or rescheduling of your ticket.
Our fun sessions reflect real world scenarios as coders bring their own projects to life with the latest tech gadgets, experimenting with BBC micro:bits, speakers or lights and programming in a variety of languages such as Python, Scratch or MakeCode depending on the session. We encourage creativity and self-led learning with themed projects, and practice patience and problem-solving skills in learning to debug computer code. Resources are available so that projects can be continued at home (this *may* require additional kit) and digital projects can be shared with friends online. Beginners welcome!
Science Oxford welcomes all children to our clubs. If you or your child has additional needs, please get in touch to discuss how we can best support your child to make the most of the club at [email protected].
Science Oxford is committed to inclusion and we recognise that cost is sometimes a barrier. Funded places for eligible families are now available, thanks to the Austin and Hope Pilkington Trust. Families could be eligible for these places for several reasons; for example, if your child receives free school meals or is a looked-after child. To find out more and to book one of these places, please contact [email protected].
The health and well-being of our visitors and staff is our highest priority. Following Government guidance, here are some steps we are taking to keep you safe:
- All tickets must still be booked in advance.
- Inside the Science Oxford Centre will be kept well ventilated with doors and windows open.
- Regular cleaning will take place throughout the day.
- We request that visitors wear face coverings inside the Centre (age 11+).
- Hand sanitizer is available upon entering and exiting the Science Oxford Centre.
- There is car parking and bike racks available for all visitors on weekends to reduce the need to take public transport.
- Full contact details of those booking a ticket are required to comply with test and trace. QR codes for the Test & Trace app are available upon entry to the centre.
- If you have a positive test result or are showing symptoms of Covid-19, please stay at home – you can transfer your ticket to another day (you can do this yourself via Eventbrite or contact us if you have any issues).
Science Oxford Centre
Quarry Rd, Headington, Oxford, OX3 8SB
Back to previous page