Sold out: Holiday Tech: do your :bit Challenge (Ages 9-12) (22 Feb)
This half term we are encouraging young coders to do their bit! (Please note: this is a repeat of the Creative Computing Club running on 12th February.)
Combining creativity and tech and a BBC micro:bit, invent innovative solutions to real issues that affect your community. Brainstorm your ideas and design your own prototype to find an ingenious invention for the Global Goals challenges! We’ll show you how to create clever gadgets using the micro:bit’s display and sound, as well as built-in light, temperature and accelerometer sensors – technology used from space stations to smart phones. From monitoring climate change to wearable tech accessories for health and wellbeing, what local issues are your family passionate about solving? You can work on your own projects with guidance from our team to enter this brilliant Challenge.
The 17 Sustainable Development Goals (commonly known as the Global Goals) were agreed in September 2015 by the member states of the United Nations. They are the most ambitious agreement for sustainable development that world leaders have ever made. The BBC micro:bit Foundation has set up a challenge in the search for solutions to these goals and invite young people aged 8-18 to submit their ideas with the chance of winning some amazing micro:bit prizes. Full details about the challenge can be found here and the closing date is July 2022.
do your :bit is produced by the Micro:bit Educational Foundation in partnership with the British Council and World’s Largest Lesson
- The Exploration Zone is closed but you can access the woodland
- Cafe is open between 10am-1pm and 2-4pm only. Place your lunch food order before 12:30pm, and we would encourage ordering lunch items on arrival, to avoid disappointment.
For information on our terms and conditions visit here.
The health and well-being of our visitors and staff is our highest priority. Due to the rapidly changing COVID-19 situation, please check your emails before leaving in case of a last minute cancellation. In the case of cancellation, we will refund your tickets and arrange to run the workshop at a later date. You will be given first opportunity to get tickets for the postponed event.
Please note the following precautions / changes:
- If you, or anyone in your household, test positive, have any Covid symptoms, or are asked to self-isolate, then do not attend the workshop – contact us for a refund. If you cannot, or no longer want to attend the workshop then please request a refund via Eventbrite, or contact us as soon as possible.
- We request that visitors wear face coverings inside the Centre (age 11+).
- Doors to the outside will be kept open throughout the day for ventilation, so please come warmly dressed. Bulky clothes, such as coats, will need to be taken off before some of the activities for safety, so wear something warm underneath.
- All tickets must still be booked in advance.
- Regular cleaning will take place throughout the day.
- Hand sanitizer is available upon entering and exiting the Science Oxford Centre
- Full contact details of those booking a ticket are required to comply with test and trace. QR codes for the Test & Trace app are available upon entry to the centre
For more details about the Science Oxford Centre and what we are doing to keep you safe, please call us on 01865 810 000, [email protected] or see Science Oxford Centre visitor information.
Science Oxford welcomes all children to our clubs. If you or your child has additional needs, please get in touch to discuss how we can best support your child to make the most of the club at [email protected].
Science Oxford is committed to inclusion and we recognise that cost is sometimes a barrier. Funded places for eligible families are now available, thanks to the Austin and Hope Pilkington Trust. Families could be eligible for these places for several reasons; for example, if your child receives free school meals or is a looked-after child. Contact [email protected].
Science Oxford Centre
Quarry Rd, Headington, Oxford, OX3 8SB
Back to previous page