Holiday Tech: Winter Wonderland (Ages 9-12) (21 Dec)
Please note, masks/ face coverings are now required for visitors inside the centre (age 11+).
Tech Workshop 1 (10-12pm) Light Up Snowflakes:
In the first session, learn how to heat up and use a soldering iron to create a circuit board snowflake decoration, and connect electronics and circuits to illuminate your decoration in Tinkercad. ‘Glow Up’ a pre-made laser cut snowflake with super-cool conductive tape to add your own style, lights and bling! Beginners welcome, accompanying grown-ups encouraged to join in too – there’s ‘snow day’ like today to learn a new skill!
Tech Workshop 2 (1-3pm) Interactive coding – Winter Wonderland installation
Illuminate your own interactive design for our installation! Make light-up trees, red-nose reindeer or glowing snowflakes from up-cycled materials and bring your creation to life with a BBC micro:bit, adding animations or sound using ‘Scratch’ from jingle bells to Ho Ho Hos! Did you know that the UK’s famous Turner Prize competition for new artists is made up of groups instead of individuals for the first time in 2021 – so why not join your own collective! We’ll test everyone’s creations and see the winter-wonderland installation come to life in a festive finale. Stay on for an extra session (3-4pm) to bag your own Art Award!
3-4pm Arts Award Discover + £5
By taking part in the workshops, and completing an evidence form (this can be written or done verbally/pictorially) children can achieve an Arts Award Discover. For this final hour, we will help you to complete the Arts Award by listening to what you have learnt during the workshops and advising on how to complete the form. Certificates will be posted after assessment.
- Ages 9-12 – Adult supervision is required (adults free).
- (Not suitable for young children because of the tools being used in the workshop.)
- Attend in the morning, afternoon or for the whole day.
- If you are coming to both workshops enter the code: WHOLEDAY on booking to receive a £2 discount.
- The Exploration Zone is closed but you can access the woodland
- Lunch 12-1pm. Bring a packed lunch and water bottle, and/or visit the Skogen Cafe. Lunch may be outside (weather dependant) so bring suitable outdoor footwear and a coat. This time is also supported for work on your Arts Award.
For information on our terms and conditions visit here.
Science Oxford welcomes all children to our clubs. If you or your child has additional needs, please get in touch to discuss how we can best support your child to make the most of the club at [email protected]
Science Oxford is committed to inclusion and we recognise that cost is sometimes a barrier. Funded places for eligible families are now available, thanks to the Austin and Hope Pilkington Trust. Families could be eligible for these places for several reasons; for example, if your child receives free school meals or is a looked-after child. Contact [email protected]
The health and well-being of our visitors and staff is our highest priority. Following Government guidance, here are some steps we are taking to keep you safe:
- All tickets must still be booked in advance.
- Inside the Science Oxford Centre will be kept well ventilated with doors and windows open. Regular cleaning will take place throughout the day.
- Face coverings are required for visitors inside the centre (age 11+).
- Hand sanitizer is available upon entering and exiting the Science Oxford Centre
- Full contact details of those booking a ticket are required to comply with test and trace. QR codes for the Test & Trace app are available upon entry to the centre.
- If you are showing symptoms of Covid-19 or are in a vulnerable group, please stay at home – you can transfer your ticket to another day (you can do this yourself via Eventbrite or contact us if you have any issues.)
- Parking: For weekday events there is only disabled parking on-site at the Science Oxford Centre. Please consider whether you can travel to the site by bus or bicycle. There is alternative parking in the area, including limited 2-hour, and 3-hour, free parking available on Quarry Road, as well as Thornhill Park and Ride.
Science Oxford Centre
Quarry Rd, Headington, Oxford, OX3 8SB
Back to previous page