Holiday Tech: Winter Wonderland (Ages 9-12) (21 Dec)
Tech Workshop 1 (10-12pm) Light Up Snowflakes:
In the first session, learn how to heat up and use a soldering iron to create a circuit board snowflake decoration, and connect electronics and circuits to illuminate your decoration in Tinkercad. ‘Glow Up’ a pre-made laser cut snowflake with super-cool conductive tape to add your own style, lights and bling! Beginners welcome, accompanying grown-ups encouraged to join in too – there’s ‘snow day’ like today to learn a new skill!
Tech Workshop 2 (1-3pm) Interactive coding – Winter Wonderland installation
Illuminate your own interactive design for our installation! Make light-up trees, red-nose reindeer or glowing snowflakes from up-cycled materials and bring your creation to life with a BBC micro:bit, adding animations or sound using ‘Scratch’ from jingle bells to Ho Ho Hos! We’ll test everyone’s creations and see your winter-wonderland come alive.
3-4pm Arts Award Discover + £5
By taking part in the workshops, and completing an evidence form (this can be written or done verbally/pictorially) children can achieve an Arts Award Discover. For this final hour, we will help you to complete the Arts Award by listening to what you have learnt during the workshops and advising on how to complete the form. Certificates will be posted after assessment.
- Ages 9-12 – Adult supervision is required (adults free). (Not suitable for young children because of the tools being used in the workshop.)
- Attend in the morning, afternoon or for the whole day.
- If you are coming to both workshops enter the code: WHOLEDAY on booking to receive a £2 discount.
- The Exploration Zone is closed but you can access the woodland
- Lunch 12-1pm.
For information on our terms and conditions visit here.
The health and well-being of our visitors and staff is our highest priority. Due to the rapidly changing situation, please check your emails before leaving tomorrow in case of a last minute cancellation. In the case of cancellation, we will refund your tickets and arrange to run the workshop at a later date. You will be given first opportunity to get tickets for the postponed event.
Please note the following precautions / changes:
- Please take a lateral flow test before attending. If you, or anyone in your household, test positive, have any Covid symptoms, or are asked to self-isolate, then do not attend the workshop – contact us for a refund.If you cannot, or no longer want to, attend the workshop then please request a refund via Eventbrite, or respond to this email, as soon as possible.
- Masks are required for everyone 11+, unless exempt.
- Doors to the outside will be kept open throughout the day for ventilation, so please come warmly dressed. Bulky clothes, such as coats, will need to be taken off before some of the activities for safety, so wear something warm underneath.
- To reduce family mixing we will no longer be merging your art projects at the end of the afternoon session – you will stay at your own table for the whole session.
- Please let us know on arrival if you would like to order from the café. To avoid queues, the café have asked that food and drinks are pre-ordered for lunch time.
- Car parking will now be available on-site – please use spaces 36-46. If the barrier is not open then use the intercom box to contact reception, letting them know that you are there for the Science Oxford Tech Club.
- All tickets must still be booked in advance.
- Regular cleaning will take place throughout the day.
- Hand sanitizer is available upon entering and exiting the Science Oxford Centre
- Full contact details of those booking a ticket are required to comply with test and trace. QR codes for the Test & Trace app are available upon entry to the centre
For more details about the Science Oxford Centre and what we are doing to keep you safe, please call us on 01865 810 000, [email protected] or see Science Oxford Centre visitor information.
Science Oxford welcomes all children to our clubs. If you or your child has additional needs, please get in touch to discuss how we can best support your child to make the most of the club at [email protected].
Science Oxford is committed to inclusion and we recognise that cost is sometimes a barrier. Funded places for eligible families are now available, thanks to the Austin and Hope Pilkington Trust. Families could be eligible for these places for several reasons; for example, if your child receives free school meals or is a looked-after child. Contact [email protected].
Science Oxford Centre
Quarry Rd, Headington, Oxford, OX3 8SB
Back to previous page