Science of Magic Family Open Day
Celebrate 30 years of science magic with our Science of Magic show, Exploration Zone and woodland trail for a special Family Open Day.
Today is the anniversary of our first-ever science centre ‘CuriOXity’ which opened in the Old Fire Station in George Street in 1990, and we’ll be celebrating the occasion in our Science Oxford Centre in Headington! Throughout the day we will be performing our very first, and still most popular, ‘Science of Magic’ show in the theatre, and you can see displays based on memories of CuriOXity for families to enjoy.
As always, visitors can play and explore in our Exploration Zone and try and beat the super-fast Scarf-Shooter, have a blast on the Air Table, or take our Turntable challenge and keep the discs spinning. Get up close to nature and see bugs and plants under a microscope, then take a breath of fresh air and find out what wildlife lives in the surrounding woodland. Just ask one of our team for a trail-sheet to get started.
Your ticket includes two hours in the Exploration Zone and access to woodland all day. The morning session is from 10am to midday, and the afternoon sessions are from 12.45pm to 2.45pm and 3.30pm-5.30pm. The Science of Magic show is optional and included in the entry price, but no admission once it has started.
Tickets: £6 per person or £20 for a family ticket (4 people, must include 1 adult) under 3s free.
In 1990 The Oxford Trust opened CuriOXity at the Old Fire Station in Oxford – watch the TV news-reel and find out what happened!
Did you visit the centre? Share your CuriOXity memories with us on facebook, Instagram or twitter and tag @scienceoxford using the hashtag #30YearsofCuriOXity or email [email protected]
The health and well-being of our visitors and staff is our highest priority. Following Government recommendations to minimise the risk of person-to-person transmission of Coronavirus (COVID-19):
• All tickets must be booked in advance.
• There are car parking and bike racks available for all visitors.
• We will be operating at a reduced capacity with only 38 people per session.
• All visitors must sanitize their hands upon entering and exiting the Science Oxford Centre.
• Exhibits in the Exploration Zone have been widely spaced to allow social distancing.
• Our staff will wear visors inside the centre.
• Face coverings are required inside the centre (age 11+).
• We will clean everything regularly and thoroughly during and between sessions.
• Full contact details of those booking a ticket are required to comply with test and trace.
• The café is closed until further notice but you are welcome to bring packed lunches and refreshments on site. We have outdoor tables available for public use.
• If you are showing symptoms of Covid-19 or are in a vulnerable group, please stay at home – you can transfer your ticket to another day.
For more details about the Science Oxford Centre and what we are doing to keep you safe, please call us on 01865 810 000, [email protected] or see Science Oxford Centre visitor information.
Before you visit you’ll receive an email with helpful information about how to have a safe and enjoyable day out at the Science Oxford Centre.
For information on our terms and conditions visit here.
Science Oxford Centre
Stansfeld Park, Quarry Rd, Headington, OX3 8SB
Back to previous page