Seeds of Science 2018 – our Top 5 Free Growing Resources for Schools
Monday 13th November 2017
Article from November 13th 2018 – please note the grants and resources listed relate to 2018 and may not be relevant now.
It’s the perfect time of year to apply for free plants, trees and gardening tools for your school.
Whether you have a gardening club, an eco-society, a heathy eating focus, a neglected space or just a class that you’d like to get working positively outdoors, Sophie Batin, our Education and Outreach Manager shares her Top 5 great free resources to get you started…
- Order FREE packs of native tree species to plant in your school by contacting the Woodland Trust, the Earth Restoration Service or the Tree Appeal.
- For a smaller (and edible!) project, why not try growing potatoes with a free kit from www.growyourownpotatoes.org.uk?
- For younger children, growing sunflowers is a great project that they can try for free, thanks to the packs of seeds sent out by The Big Sunflower Project. Register here and then check out www.teachingideas.co.uk for some fantastic literacy links.
- With all this growing to do, you’ll need tools! Visit www.conservationfoundation.co.uk to sign up to their next free tool giveaway in Oxfordshire.
- GRANT NOW CLOSED For bigger projects, schools can apply for between £300 and £10,000 from www.awardsforall.org.uk – you could develop a sensory garden, create a wild space, build a nature trail or design a play space and we’d love to help with your application. Email [email protected] with any questions.
Education and Outreach Manager