My Planet Earth – Headington children’s photography competition
We’re thrilled to be teaming up with Headington Action once more to launch an exciting children’s wildlife photography competition for 2019 on the theme of My Planet Earth, which aims to capture and explore the wonderful wildlife living in our neighbourhood.
The competition is for children aged 4-11 who live or go to school in and around Headington and an exhibition of our favourite photos will be on display at Headington Festival on Sunday 2nd June 2019.
Our planet is amazing. Even in a city like Oxford, the wonders of nature are all around us – in our gardens, our streets, in playgrounds, parks, and woods. To celebrate cool planet Earth and the natural world, we’re looking for young photographers to snap the wildlife of Headington this spring. From bugs to birds, wild plants and trees to creatures of all kinds, see what catches your eye and captures your imagination!
We want children from Headington schools to go outdoors and get snapping – whether it’s the wildlife in their gardens, pavements, parks or playgrounds – and send us their pictures. Flowers, birds, bugs, wriggling worms or even the leaves on a favourite tree – anything goes! Think about composition, focus, originality and the story you are telling with your photo. What does it mean to you?
The competition also provides a chance to raise awareness of our new Science Oxford centre, set in 18 acres of woodland at Stansfeld Park in Headington Quarry. The new centre provides a unique indoor/outdoor science education experience for primary-aged children, with an emphasis on nature and seeing the world differently.
Check out What’s On at the centre this summer!
Photos can be taken on a digital camera, phone or tablet and sent in together with a title and description.
There are two age categories. A winner and two runner-ups will be chosen in each category:
- 4-7 years-old
- 8 -11 year-olds
The best photographs will form part of a special exhibition at Headington Festival 2019, where there will be an official announcement of the winners and runner-ups on Sunday afternoon.
We have some exciting prizes for the winners:
- Winner in each category receives a family ticket to the Science Oxford Centre
- Runners-up will receive book tokens.
All the photographs included in the festival exhibition will also be displayed at the Science Oxford Centre.
- Wildlife doesn’t include pets, siblings and cultivated plants do not count as wild animals, however unruly they may seem!
- We request one photographic entry per person – choose the one you are most proud of.
- Your photograph must be taken in or around Headington
- Your photograph should be taken on a digital camera, tablet or phone, on a high-resolution (300 dpi +) setting if possible (but not essential.)
When you are emailing your competition image to us, please give it a title and write a very brief description of it. For example, ‘A frog I found in my back garden.’ Your description will help our judges to understand why you took the image.
HOW TO ENTER
- Tell us your name, age, and address – and what school you go to. (You should go to school or live in or around Headington.)
- Choose the one you are most proud of and email it to us at [email protected] by 2oth May 2019
Visit www.headingtonfestival.co.uk for more information about the festival.
In partnership with Headington Action