Due to the success of the 2021 programme, we will be running our STEM Summer Experience weeks for year 11 and 12 students in 2022 from 25th July to 5th August. Our free programme will give students interested in careers in STEM the opportunity to gain relevant skills, experience and expertise over a two-week period in the holidays. Students can attend virtual workshops, talks and sessions led by local STEM companies and our expert in-house team as well as completing their own research project.
As part of the programme, students will be set a bespoke two-week research project, based on a STEM subject they are interested in. The project will consist of a challenge along the lines of the CREST Gold Award, so those who take part will also be eligible to apply for the award. During the two weeks, students will have allocated time to work on their project, and meet with local industry professionals for talks, mentoring and STEM careers advice. They will also be offered training in skills such as CV writing and advice on mental health from experts. The two weeks will conclude with an opportunity for students to present their project to a group of their peers and mentors.
Students – what will you achieve by taking part?
- The opportunity to tackle a specific research project at your own pace over two weeks, that will make you eligible to apply for a Gold CREST Award (recognised by employers)
- The opportunity to learn more about STEM Careers from local industry professionals through talks and tutor time
- To gain awareness of the type of jobs available by studying STEM subjects
- To ask questions directly to STEM professionals about different career paths
- Online tours of local STEM facilities, including Diamond Light Source.
- New skills such as how to write a CV and presenting to different audiences
- Advice on how to be aware of your own mental health and wellbeing when dealing with difficult challenges
- A certificate of achievement for taking part
- 20 May – Applications open
- 12 July – Applications close
- 26 July – 6 August 2022 – STEM Summer Experience
We are also hopeful that in the summer of 2022 we will be able to offer in person work experience placements, please keep an eye on our website for more details. To keep up-to-date with all of the activities we offer for secondary schools, please sign up to our newsletter here. For further information contact [email protected]