Year 11 and 12 students can apply to take part in our online STEM Summer Experience programme, which will run from 26th July to 6th August 2021. Our free programme will give those interested in careers in STEM the opportunity to gain relevant skills, experience and expertise over a two-week period in the holidays. Students can sign up for workshops, talks and sessions led by local STEM companies and our expert team and complete their own research project. As the events are online, we are also accepting applications from outside Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire.
Applications are now open: STEM Summer Experience 2021 application form
This year’s virtual programme will replace our traditional summer STEM Work Placements, due to the current social distancing restrictions.
As part of the programme, students will be set a bespoke two-week research project, based on a STEM subject they are interested in. The project will consist of a challenge along the lines of the CREST Gold Award, so those who take part will also be eligible to apply for the award. During the two weeks, students will have allocated time to work on their project, and meet with local industry professionals for talks, mentoring and STEM careers advice. They will also be offered training in skills such as CV writing and advice on mental health from experts. The two weeks will conclude with an opportunity for students to present their project to a group of their peers and mentors.
Students – what will you achieve by taking part?
- The opportunity to tackle a specific research project at your own pace over two weeks, that will make you eligible to apply for a Gold CREST Award (recognised by employers)
- The opportunity to learn more about STEM Careers from local industry professionals through talks and tutor time
- To gain awareness of the type of jobs available by studying STEM subjects
- To ask questions directly to STEM professionals about different career paths
- Online tours of local STEM facilities, including Diamond Light Source.
- New skills such as how to write a CV and presenting to different audiences
- Advice on how to be aware of your own mental health and wellbeing when dealing with difficult challenges
- A certificate of achievement for taking part
- 20 May – Applications open
- 12 July – Applications close
- 26 July – 6 August – STEM Summer Experience